Sunday, August 9, 2015

Quotes from "Lolita"

"Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul." p7

"Somebody told me later that she had been in love with my father, and that he had lightheartedly taken advantage of it one rainy day and forgotten it by the time the weather cleared." p8

"We loved each other with a premature love, marked by a fierceness that so often destroys adult lives." p17

"Every movement she made in the dappled sun plucked at the most secret and sensitive chord of my abject body." p43

"By this time  I was in a state of excitement bordering on insanity; but I also had the cunning of the insane." p64

"Pathetic-- because despite the insatiable fire of my venereal appetite, I intended, with the most fervent force and foresight, to protect the purity of that twelve-year-old child." p68

"As greater authors than I have put it: 'Let readers imagine' etc. On second thought, I may as well give those imaginations a kick in the pants. I knew I had fallen in love with Lolita forever; but I also new she would not be forever Lolita. She would be thirteen on January 1. In two years or so she would cease being a nymphet and would turn into a 'young girl', and then, into a 'college girl'-- that horror of horrors. The word 'forever' referred only to my own passions, to the eternal Lolita as reflected in my blood. The Lolita whose iliac crests had not yet flared, the Lolita that today I could touch and smell and hear and see, the Lolita of the strident voice and the rich brown hair-- of the bangs and the swirls at the sides and the curls at the back, and the sticky hot neck, and the vulgar vocabulary-- 'revolting', 'super', 'luscious,' 'goon', 'drip'-- that Lolita, my Lolita, poor Catullus would lose forever. So how could I afford not to see her for two months of summer insomnias? Two whole months out of the two years of her remaining nymphage!" p72

"Please, reader: no matter your exasperation with the tenderhearted, morbidly sensitive, infinitely circumspect hero of my book, do not skip these essential pages! Imagine me; I shall not exist if you do not imagine me; try to discern the doe in me, trembling in the forest of my own iniquity, let's even smile a little." p146

"Mentally, I found her to be a disgustingly conventional little girl." p166

"There is nothing more atrociously cruel than an adored child." p187

"One mercifully hopes there are water nymphs in the Styx." p284

"...indeed, it may well be that the very attraction immaturity has for me lies not so much in the limpidity of pure young forbidden fairy child beauty as in the security of a situation where infinite perfections fill the gap between the little given and the great promised-- the great rosegray never-to-be-had." p300

"You see, I loved her. It was love at first sight, at last sight, at ever and ever sight." p307

"And I have still other smothered memories, now unfolding themselves into limbless monsters of pain." p323

"To know that this semi-animated, subhuman trickster who had sodomized my darling--- oh my darling, this was intolerable bliss!" p337

No comments:

Post a Comment